The TICUA Advancing Leaders Summit provides aspiring leaders an opportunity to evaluate their own skills, gifts, and calling against the primary leadership needs in today’s private higher education environment.
The TICUA Advancing Leaders Summit provides next generation leaders with the opportunity to better understand:
- private higher education in Tennessee.
- the state and federal policy landscape impacting private higher education.
- the key characteristics of thriving private colleges and universities.
- the key competencies needed from each level of leadership within the institutional structure.
- the three primary threats to the sustainability of private higher education: enrollment, articulation of the value proposition, and learning / competency trends.
- what steps, personally and professionally, each can take to prepare for their expanded leadership role.
TICUA began the Advancing Leaders Summit as a biennial event in the summer of 2013 but soon learned that a more comprehensive program was needed. In summer 2015, TICUA contracted with Credo, a higher education consulting firm that specializes in working with private colleges and universities to move them forward on the continuum form surviving to thriving. Together, TICUA and Credo, developed a two-day Summit. The Summit is now offered on an annual basis during the summer.
Faculty, staff, and administrators, with three to five years of experience in a leadership role, who aspire to an executive level position will find the Summit of value. During the early spring of each year, TICUA requests that member campuses select two Advancing Leaders to participate. The selected Advancing leaders take part in the two-day intensive summer Summit and the follow up, web-based program continuing through the next academic year.
The summer Summit session agenda includes:
- State and federal policy agenda affecting private higher education
- Tennessee private higher education challenges and opportunities
- Thriving private higher education environments
- Characteristics of thriving private higher education leaders
- Primary threats to a thriving institution and the role of leadership
- Building a personalized roadmap for success
The year long, web-based follow up will provide an opportunity for the Summit participants to stay on task as each works to bring their roadmap to success, completed in day two of the summer session, to fruition.
TICUA commits to providing an assessment and evaluation framework that effectively measures the Summit's comprehensive outcomes and individual session outcomes to not only assure funders, member campuses, and participants of a worthwhile return on their investment but also to assure that the Summit continues to develop and improve.